The National Students’ Awards is a flagship award scheme organised by the NSA Ghana, to recognize the contributions made by students, individuals and corporate organisations to the development of Ghana’s Education
Check the following facts about Ecobank Ghana that makes the brand to be crowned as Students Bank of the Year.
Ecobank Ghana is a subsidiary of Ecobank Transnational Incorporated (ETI), the leading independent pan-African banking group serving about 20 million customers across 33 African countries. Ecobank commenced operations in Ghana from 1990, as a merchant bank and subsequently acquired a universal banking license in 2003. Ecobank is listed on the Ghana Stock Exchange with 67 branches, over 200 ATMs and over 15,000 accredited EcobankPay merchants deploying payment solutions for customers and the public. The bank currently serves three main customer affinity groups: Corporate, Commercial and Consumer Banking customers. Each segment is provided with tailored financial solutions in a timely and efficient manner. Since inception, Ecobank has consistently grown its shareholders’ equity to GHS1.78billion and total assets to GHS13.2billion by the close of the 2019 financial year.
2019/2020 Student-focused Products
Ecobank has, for the period under review, developed various student-focused products aimed at providing value to students through accessible, reliable, and convenient digital solutions. The bank has also developed strategic partnerships with institutions nationwide to increase presence and accessibility for students. These include the following:
• Ecobank Mobile:
Ecobank Mobile was launched in 2016 and is the flagship product for the student populace. Features include facial recognition and ﬁngerprint log-in, sending money by email or text, making split payments, making bill payments and many more. With focus on students, Ecobank Mobile was positioned to create value as a funky hands-on, on-the-go product that is available 24/7 and reduces/eliminates the need to visit the banking hall during school hours. From 2017 to date the youth banking team of Ecobank has enrolled over 30,000 tertiary students on the Ecobank mobile app.
• Xpress Account/Youth Account:
The Ecobank Xpress account is a minimum KYC account developed to expedite and digitize the account opening process. The account can be opened by students without visiting any Ecobank branch. The Xpress Account due to its paperless process and convenience of self-service was highly accepted and adopted by students on most campuses nationwide. Subsequently, the team has worked on a new improved youth account for the students with enhanced features and more convenient banking options for all.
• Debit/Prepaid Card:
For every Xpress account or youth account, students were furnished with either a prepaid or debit card. These cards are directly linked to their accounts enabling them access to their funds via the ATMs on the campuses. Students being one of our highest users for online payments and subscriptions have heavily depended on our Ecobank cards for their monthly subscription on platforms as Netflix, iTunes, as well as for payments on online stores as Ali Express, Alibaba, Kikuu, Amazon etc. for personal and business purposes.
• ATM and Xpress Points:
We have provided ATMs on the various campuses to facilitate the flow of cash on the campuses. In 2019, the team put in collective efforts to ensure the spread of Ecobank Xpress points on all the campus where students could cash out from their accounts, make deposits and perform basic banking transactions.
EcobankPay is another major product developed to facilitate payments at merchant/vendor points at popular campus hangouts like canteens, restaurants, salons, barber shops etc. For most of the major hall weeks and school fairs organized, EcobankPay has played a major role in digitizing payments at these events. Student entrepreneurs have also taken to EcobankPay to receive payments from their customers digitally.
Ecobank has also developed the Xpress loan that allows students to take short term loans based on their mobile money activity. In 2019, Ecobank rolled out the Student travel loan that enabled parents and guardians to take loans to cover the cost of air travel for their wards who took vacations abroad during the summer. The bank has also partnered with Emirates Airlines to provide discount air fares to make life convenient for our young bankers.
• Discounted Bus Rides:
From 2018 to 2019 Ecobank has partnered with VIP Jeoun Transport services to provide discount transport services to students traveling during vacation and resumption to school by road. The bus rides aided students traveling from Accra to Kumasi and vice versa to travel home and back to school safely at discounted amounts while making payment via Ecobank Mobile.
2019/2020 Student-focused CSR Activities
Ecobank CSR projects with focus on education aims at giving the students and the youth access to quality education irrespective of their social standing, encouraging healthy recreational activities, supporting reward and award schemes such as scholarships and prize giving activities that ease the burden of educational cost. Additionally, selected educational facilities nationwide are also given ‘face lifts’ to enhance the educational experience for both students and facilitators.
Ecobank for the 2019 and YTD 2020 financial years, has contributed over GHS1.5million to various projects in support of education in Ghana. The bank focused on recreational activities, reward schemes, educational funding for underprivileged students and refurbishment projects for educational facilities. These projects were beneficial in enhancing the overall educational experience and transforming the lives of individual students who were direct beneficiaries.
2019 and YTD 2020 Projects includes;
• Sponsorship of the 6th March Career fair in Ashesi University in 2019.
• Sponsorship of The Students award program in Lancaster University in 2019
• The Blue Wave campaign during the Pent Hall week
• The B lue wave campaign in KNUST republic hall week
• Refurbishment of Achimota School Computer Lab
• Continuous payment of school fees for 30 tertiary students who are orphans at village of hope, and other selected orphanages, students signed up with National partnership for children’s trust for educational funding, individual students adopted under unique circumstances such as media exposure of their circumstances.
• Sponsorship of SOS Herman Gmeiner International college programs, such as donation in support of mentally ill children at Accra Psychiatric Hospital in collaboration with the college.
• Sponsorship of International Community School Speech and Prize Giving Day
• Sponsorship of National Hard Spell Quiz Contest
• Donation to Prempeh Endowment Fund through the Alumni of Prempeh College
• Contribution to the refurbishment of Aburi Girls ICT lab through the 94/96 old girl’s association
• Sponsorship of Interschool’s Quiz organized by Innovations Village in 2019
• Ecobank Sponsored the West African for peace foundation – Peace Jam conference at the University of Ghana.
• Ecobank Sponsored the Adabraka and Osu Interschools competition
• Sponsorship of KNUST program in honor of Chancellor- Otumfuo 20th anniversary
• Sponsorship of University of Ghana Respiratory Therapy Program.
• Sponsorship of Africa Regional meeting of the International Federation of Medical Student Associations.
• Sponsorship of the 13th Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award Forum; prelude to a Head of States Awards scheme for innovative students.
• Sponsorship of University for Development Studies-WACWISA for UDS IRAD 2020 Conference. A prelude to research studies on irrigation and agricultural development in Ghana and the African continent largely under the theme, “Water Resources Development for Sustainable Agricultural Systems”.
• Donation to Setup water supply to Ghana Senior High School in Tamale in collaboration with the Ghana Minister for business development.
• Sponsorship of the refurbishment of Mfatsiman main entrance in collaboration with the school’s Old Girls Association on their 60th anniversary.
• Sponsorship for Training Health care providers in the care for Kidney diseases at the KATH.
• Sponsorship of Leadership Day celebration in collaboration with Ghana International School.
As part of efforts to support the fight against COVID-19, Ecobank has partnered with stakeholders such as Africa Business Centre For Developing Education (ABCDE) to sign up as many Senior Secondary Students as possible onto a created online platform for easy access to education material. Ecobank is further deepening its efforts by planning a creative writing competition program in collaboration with UNESCO, scheduled for October 2020 to enable brilliant secondary and tertiary students win gadgets and data to facilitate online learning.
NSA 2020 : Full list of Winners
- Student Personality of the year 2020: GRACE OHEMAAH BEDIAKO (GIMPA)
- Student President of the Year 2020: SARAH AABOBYEBR (Gushegu Nursing and Midwifery)
- Women Commissioner of the Year 2020: JESISCA TWUMASI, University of Ghana (City Campus)
- Secretary of the Year 2020: INNES EWURAKUA ANDREA (UMaT)
- Treasurer of the Year 2020: SAMUEL OBENG (University of Ghana)
- PRO of the Year 2020: KWARTENG-AGYEMANG VASTY, SDANMTC KWADASO
- Student Journalist of the Year 2020: OSMAN ABUBAKARI-SADIQ, (Ghana Institute of Journalism)
- Student Entrepreneur of the Year 2020: COLLINS MIEZAH NZEH (University of Education, Winneba)
- Student Sports Personality of the year 2020: IBRAHIM MOHAMMED NINCHE (Islamic University College)
- High School Personality of the Year 2020: CHRISTIAN ABEIKU MORRISON (Mpasatia Senior High School)
- Basic School Personality of the year 2020: KELVIN ODARTEI CRUICKSHANK (CHANTAN M/A BASIC SCHOOL)
- Rising Star of the Year 2020: CHRISTIAN MAWUENYEGA (University of Education winneba)
- Most Outstanding Beauty Queen of the Year 2020: ENAM TUGBEFIA (Enam GMB 2019), Wisconsin International University
- Student MC of the Year 2020: OWUSU MICHAEL (Mc Cobbymyke) University of Education Winneba
- Student DJ of the Year 2020: KWESI ARHIN ASSAN (DJ SPINCHO), University for Development Studies, Wa
- National Student Association of the year 2020: NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIAN STUDENTS (NANS GHANA CHAPTER)
- Student Blogger of the year 2020: ANSAH EMMANUEL, (Presbyterian College of Education Akropong Akwapem)
- Campus Group of the year 2020 UNITED NATIONS STUDENTS ASSOCIATION OF THE UNIVERSITY OF CAPE COAST (UNSA-UCC)
- Student Author of the year 2020: ANTHONY GOODNUFF APPIAH LARBI (Kings University College)
- Dean of the year 2020: MRS. LORETTA SYLVIA TETTEH (Wisconsin International University College)
- National Best Students’ Lecturer 2020: MR. KOTOR ASARE (University of Education, Winneba Kumasi Campus)
- Principal of the year 2020: APOSTLE CHRISTOPHER AFFUM NYARKO (Apostolic University College)
- Most outstanding Chief (in supporting education) 2020: NANA ADUSEI ATWENEWAH AMPEM I (TEPA MANHENE)
- Most Influential Student Leader 2020: YIADOM BOAKYE EMMANUEL (KNUST)
- Most Inspiring Student Leader 2020: ADJEI-KYEREH RONALD, (Nurses Training College, Pantang)
- Most Outstanding MCE (In Supporting Education): HON. OSEI ASSIBEY ANTWI (KMA)
- Students Bank of the Year: Ecobank Ghana
- CEO of the Year (In Entrepreneurial Development for Young People) : Hon. Stephen Amoah
CliqAfrig National Awards, Kumerica 2020- ‘Awarding the Deserving’
Source : hotstoriesghana.com