The Hon. Minister for Works and Housing and a member of Parliament
for Abuakwa South, Samuel Atta-Akyea has told Parliament , an amount of
one hundred and fifty million Dollars (150 million Dollars) was stolen
from the original contract sum of two hundred million Dollars of
Saglemi housing project, considering the work done at the project site.
He said, the NDC government led by former President John Dramani
Mahama through its Minister for Works and Housing , Mr Collins Dauda in
15 August, 2012 signed a contract with a Brazilian company ( Messrs
Construction OAS company Limited) to build a five thousand housing units
at a cost of two hundred million Dollars (200 million Dollars) at
Saglemi near old Ningo in the Damgbe District in the Gt. Accra region.
Mr Atta-Akyea revealed that, an amount of eighty million Dollars (80
million Dollars) representing fourty percent (40%) of the total
contract sum was immediately released to the contractor even at a point
of no work done, which out of amount, fourty million Dollars got
missing and till date, no one in the previous NDC government could
tell the whereabout of missing money .
He said, the original contract that was approved by Parliament to
build five thousand housing units (5,000 Housing units) was changed by
Mr Collins Dauda by reducing it to one thousand five hundred and two
housing units (1,502) at the cost of same two hundred million Dollars
without the knowledge of Parliament.
Kwabena Ahwireng Martin (HOT/FOX fm) in an interview with works and
Housing minister, the current happening of Saglemi housing project , he
said, the project could not be completed due to huge thievery of fourty
million Dollars at that initial process of the contract and when an
assessment was done at the project site, it was revealed that the work
done of so far is amounted to fifty million Dollars whilst the remaining
one fifty million Dollars contract money could not be traced.
He concluded that, his ministry has assigned Ghana Institution of
surveyors to audit the project and present their findings so as to
assist the ministry to take an appropriate action against people who
recklessly and deliberately embezzled those money and at appropriate
time, the then minister and some managing Directors at the ministry
would appear before the appropriate authority to answer to Ghanaians the
whereabout of the missing contract money.
Mr Atta-Akyea`s response came at the plenary today Thursday 4, 2020,
when the Hon. Member of Parliament for Nsawam/Adoagyiri and Chairman
for Foreign Affairs Committee of Parliament, Frank Annor Dompreh asked
the Minister, when the ministry would complete the affordable housing
project at Saglemi for Ghanaians to have good use of it.